Friday, January 20, 2012

Winding Down...

This evening, I had the opportunity to have a real talk with Eduardo (the bartender / waiter).  Eduardo is studying to do something in healthcare.  Every evening when I walk into the restaurant, Eduardo is reading a "bioliga libra" (biology book).  Eduardo noticed my Pepperdine book bag and we began talking about school.  In the area where I was staying, there are a number of universities all around.

 Upon entering Hotel de Bergerac, you're directed to the Front Desk.
 Eduardo the evening server / bartender / student
When I returned to my room to finish packing and ponder about this experience, my mind wandered to the children at Casa de los ninos.  My fondness for the two brothers Elkin (8 years old), his brother Guillermo (11 years old) and Esperanza (11 years old) grew with each hour that I spent with them.  They were truly grateful for each small kindness I bestowed upon them.  Small gifts of coloring books, pencils, paper, gum, chocolate bars, and crackers, brought a glow to their faces that I probably would only have if I won the lottery!





This is where I spent the first few days
in Costa Rica volunteering.
As I said in an earlier blog, I didn't feel
comfortable volunteering here, as the location
seemed unsafe for the children.
The steps were stone (with no railings).
Although the children were fond of running
up and down the stone steps (as the chapel
is on the second floor, I felt that this site
was an accident waiting to happen.

Once you pass through the gates at La Carpio, you enter through the yellow building.

 Some of the items I brought with me to give to the children.
 Beans, rice, and mashed potatoes simmering on the stove...before the children arrived.
 All meals are served in bowls with spoons - not disposable cutlery or bowls.
 La Casa de los Ninos  is where I spent my volunteer hours.
 These are the homes that the children live in.   In the background is a dog training site.  (Imagine that).  Although it appears to be nearby...it's quite a distance away.
 As you can see, there are no real doors or windows in most of the places these families call home.
 This is where one of the families hangs their clothing to dry.


Emeila, Elkin, Esperanza (back) and Guillermo's hand (dealing the cards).  On my last day, Guillermo taught me how to play "loco ocho" (Crazy 8).  I haven't played that game in years.  We had a great time.  I gave him a deck of cards before I left, although he probably has a deck at home.  He is a master dealer...he can take the cards in one hand and shot them over to the other hand without missing a beat or dropping a card.


No comments:

Post a Comment