Sunday, January 8, 2012

On the way to San Jose (Costa Rica) that is...

After kissing my family "adios" that's Spanish for those who are not bi-lingual like me :-)
I'm heading to LAX for the first leg of my flight to Miami, FL, where I'll spend a little time with my cousin before the next leg of the journey takes me to Costa Rica.

Checking in and going through customs was a breeze. It took less than 5 minutes for the entire process, including removing shoes, and taking my laptop out of the case. A few minutes after I was dropped off at LAX, I was sipping free drinks in the Admiral's lounge. The beginning of a perfect trip...or so I thought...

I guess I forgot to charge my laptop before I left...which meant I wasn't able to take advantage of the free wi-fi...but nevertheless, I had my trusty pen and journal. NOTE TO SELF- Next time pack the power cord with the carryon instead of in the suitcase. This meant that I had two options, people watch or write in my journal. Since I was alone...I began scribbling away. A few minutes later a family of three came in. A young boy who appeared to be about 8 years old, his older sister who looked to be about 12, and the father (probably 40 something). This family seems very dysfunctional. The father spoke to the young girl in what may have been Korean. She replied in English in a very surly and disrespectful manner. It amazed me was berating her father because she had to pack her "old clothes with her new clothes" int he same bag. She showed a total lack of respect for her father. If that were me and my Mom or Dad...they would have gladly knocked my "butt" deep into the next week; first of all for the tone, secondly, for poking my lips out, and finally for embarrassing them.

A few minutes later, the mom arrives. Although the young girl was still pouting...she became quiet when mom (perhaps the disciplinarian of the family...) arrived. The next words from the girl's mouth (to both parents) was pleasant and respectful....The young girl's attitude completed changed.

About 15 or 20 minutes later, an elderly Black couple arrived. They appeared to be in their late 70's. They came in holding hands and acting like newly weds. Now, this is a family I can strike up a conversation with. I love happy people...and this couple radiated joy. I decided to smile at them and see if I could engage them in a conversation. It worked....the couple are from Miami and are heading back home. They've "only been married for 52 years". Andrew, the husband said, that the woman I see before me is the same beautiful young woman who blessed him by walking down the aisle and not coming to her senses :-) over 50 years ago. The wife, Emma reported that she's the "luckiest girl in the world" to have such a gentle and patient husband. Now if this doesn't make you believe in happily every after, I don't know what will.

Uh oh...and issue...the plane is delayed because of cleaning...I found this out as I was leaving the lounge and heading to gate 48A. My hope is that the dysfunctional family isn't on the same flight as I am.

Finally, we board the plane...I sneak a peak at my seat mate. He appears to be late 40's or maybe 50 with graying hair and black dress shoes with no socks. (I thought that look played out in the 80's). Once I changed into my "flying gear" which is a super thick pair of socks that look like boots, with faux fur trim at the top, and leather soles, I settled down into my big comfy seat complete with a sanitize pillow, a bottle of water, and a new headsets... When I grab for my seatbelt and realize that it is wet and clammy...hey, what's that cold feeling on my bottom. Will wonders never cease. Although passengers were still boarding, I went to the flight attendant to advise her that seat 4F was wet.

Because the plane was completely full, and we were already 30 minutes behind schedule, the American Airlines manager, offered me the option of flying coach and receiving a $300 voucher for future travel, or putting blankets on a new (dry) seat cushion. Needless to say, neither way ideal...however, because I don't want to be the cause of people missing their connections, I settled for sitting on blankets in my original seat.

We're finally taking off. The captain said that even though we're about half an hour behind schedule, the captain is going to try to make up 20 minutes of so. Now that's amazing...ah the magic of technology.

By the time I arrive back to 4F, my seat mate is fast asleep. As I'm not the type of traveler looking for a conversation....(take a hint from lone traveler), I'm okay. I guess in some ways, I'm like the fictional "Larry David" character in Curb Your Enthusiasm. No need for a "stop and chat"

As I began to let my mind wanter, I began to ponder about how much time each of us as to really be alone. Even when we're driving, many of us have the radio, or music accompanying us and monopolizing our thoughts. At the gym, there are so many people around us chatting, music and tv blaring, instructors screaming commands and pushing our bodies towards that all elusive perfection, that we're not alone. Even those who exercise at home, usually have the television going or some other form of entertainment helping the time pass.

I despise indoor exercises. Prior to my back injury, I was an avid runner. I didn't want or need a workout partner, music, or other distractions. I enjoyed the solitude. Just me and my thoughts...the sound of my measured footsteps pounding the surface, and the eventual labored (but controlled) breathing as I finished my last few miles. Of all of the things that I miss as a result of the back injury...running solo is what I miss most of all.

Even the fact that I have to get up and stretch my back after prolong periods o sitting, or the spasms which feel like electric shocks -- sometimes forcing guttural noises to escape from my lips are not as bad as the feeling of sadness I get when I realize that I can't run like than any more. Alas, my job today is to focus on finding that joy elsewhere.

Yet, I digress; back to having time to oneself (in this case, myself) to reflect on my life and ponder about my purpose in life. That brings me to the fact that many people will say (especially during job interviews), 'I want to be of service.' If that statement is really true, you don't have to work at a non-profit to be of service. Simply volunteer! All it requires is a willingness to find an organization that you would like to partner with.

Hmmmmm... that brings to mind the question, am I being of service. Sure, I'm active in my church, consider myself a faithful member (ooops! I forgot to write the church a check before I left). NOTE TO SELF - Don't go over Costa Rican budget. I definitely don't want to cheat God out of his portion.

What have you done lately?
1. Gave money to a good friend in order that she could have a place to stay until she got paid the following week.
Some may ask why I didn't allow her to stay in my home. My answer is simple. She's a friend...and I want to make sure that our friendship remains intact. This answer never changes. I'll do what I can to help MY FRIENDS, yet in order to preserve our relationship, they must find an alternative to my house. I love my friends...BUT I LOVE MY PRIVACY MORE! I am a loner (who loves people - from a distance). I value and enjoy my solitude as well as the space that my sons (FAMILY) and I have created for ourselves over the years. Any additional people/person would disrupt my harmony and our family flow.
2. Allowed my son's friends to move in for extended periods (years -- plural)
My youngest and middle son have each had a friend move in with us. Because these additions were their (my son's) choice, it was their responsibility to share their respective bathrooms. In essence, my space was not compromised.

Speaking of bathrooms, mine is my favorite room in the house. About 15 years ago, I built a master suite complete with a huge green Jaccuzi tub, bidet, sunroof, and floor to ceiling tile. The jacuzzi is perfect to help alleviate the pain in my back..or simply to provide sanctuary for me when I'm feeling down or blue. I light a few candles, grab a glass of my beverage of choice, and soak until...

Still up in the air....with more time to go. My seat mate is awake and wants to chat. Out of courtesy, I indulge him. He's a baseball coach at the University of Miami (or some such college in Miami). I guess he's pretty successful, as he's wearing a huge super bowl type ring. Once he finished regaling me with his stories about college baseball, he asked if I was a writer, as he noticed me writing in my journal. I explained my international experience at Pepperdine. He seemed duly impressed.

Speaking of writing, as I began to ponder the merits of handwriting, I realized that when it comes to scholarly prose, perhaps the computer is best, yet when it comes to capturing thoughts and ideas, the act of putting pen to paper allows the creative juices to flow better.

The captain just announced that we have 2 hours and 11 minutes left on this flight. Maybe now's the perfect time to take a break and watch the in-flight movie, "Dolphin Tale". The movie is about a dolphin who lost it's tale and a raspy doctor, played by Morgan Freeman designs a prosthetic tale. Although I wasn't even mildly interested in the movie when I say the trailers...maybe now is a good time to enjoy some mindless entertainment. I'll provide an update later.

About an hour later...Now I remember why I don't like in-flight movies, there usually seems to be a problem with the sound, or making sure the words are in sync with the actors mouths. Dolphin Tale go off to such a slow start...that it put me to sleep. When I woke up I decided to break out the Kindle Fire and catch up on some real reading.







No comments:

Post a Comment