Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My arrival in Costa Rica

I went through customs relatively quickly...however, it would have been faster if I had known where the poace I'm staying actually was. Thank goodness I had a 24 hour phone number for the Maximo Nivel office.

Once I exited the airport, I saw a woman holding a card with my name on it. she didn't speak a word of English...thankfully her espousa (that's Spanish for husband -- for those non-Spanish speakers), spoke a few words of English. We were able to communicate in broken Spanish (me), broken English (him) and pantomines (all of us).

Even though they were assigned to pick me up from the airport, they didn't drive. Their job was simply to wait at the airport with me until a rojo (red) official taxi arrived. While we were waiting, I sent a few text messages to my family to let them know of my save arrival. I also took a few pictures of my makeshift seat cover...with my iPhone...as I'm sure no one would believe what happened.

When the taxi finally arrived...remember in Costa Rica -- they have what is commonly called "tico time" which is probably the same as CP time. In essence, nearly everyone is between 15 and 45 minutes late.

I arrived at the home at about 7:30 pm. Before going to the house I was to stay at, the driver apologized that he firt must take me to Maximo Nivel office to pick up my welcome package, which contained a map of the city, and a sheet of paper stating that I was to meet at the office tomorrow (Sunday) at 2:00 pm for my Spanish test and official assignment.

Because it was dark when I arrived at the home, I didn't get a chance to really explore. It seemed closed to downtown...and a short walk (about 2 miles) the the Maximo Nivel office.

The first mishap I had in Costa Rica occurred when I attempted to check in. There was no reservation under my name. The home which had 8 or 9 bedrooms and bathrooms (a former mansion) was solidly booked! The man on duty informed me that there was a room available for the night, but I would have to check out early...because the person who reserved the room would arrive by 9:00 am.

I was so tired, that one night was fine with me at that point. The driver called Paula at Maximo Nivel. She promised to straighten everything out for me early the next day. Paula explained that she would be in the office at 9:00 am...she asked me to call her in the morning.

The room I was assigned is on the second floor...Don Julio (see pictures on my Facebook account). When I opened the door, I noticed that the room was clean, yet well worn, and seemed relatively comfortable. Because I was only staying one night...I only needed to unpack the basics...some toiletries and sleepwear.

I started the shower going and less than 10 minutes later, warm water was running. At first I thought I had mixed up the shower knobs...but when I checked, the blue knob was ice cold...brrrr.

After my ablutions were finished, I decided to send a few more text messages. I searched and searched and searched...but alas, my cell phone was gone! I double checked my carry-on, then check my suitcase...to no avail. I began to head downstairs to see if the taxi driver turned in my phone...or perhaps I left it in the lounge...when all of a sudden the silence was pierce with the sounds of dogs barking, rat-a-tat-tat sounds, and screaming. I hoped that the noise was simply additional holiday celebrations...as I noticed that the streets still had Christmas decorations...as did the house I was in. Instead of heading downstairs....I thought I'd stay away from the windows...and pray that what I heard was celebratory.

A few minutes later, I grabbed my laptop and saw that my oldest son was on-line. We began to IM each other. I explained what was going one with my iPhone and the noise outside. He asked how well I had vetted the organization and place I was staying. We went back and forth for a few minutes. He urged me to try to find my phone...finally (about 30 minutes later) the noises stopped. Unfortunately, my phone was nowhere to be found.

I slept fitfully my first night in Costa Rica.

Pura Vida


No comments:

Post a Comment