Monday, January 16, 2012

Mas Dia en Costa Rica

Yesterday, I went to the "Artist Mart".  It was quite an experience getting there.  Although there are buses every where, it seems that nearly every single bus is nearly full to capacity when it gets to my stop.  Why oh why...am I so close to the end of the line???  Yet there is always a silver lining...sometimes, you just have to run fast to catch it.  The silver lining in this case, is that if you run down the road a kilometer or so (a bit over a 1/2 mile) you can catch the bus around the corner before it gets too crowded.

I've been here a week and have finally found out the bus system.  Although there are people on every bus stop -- it seems that some of the people are actually working.  I don't know how they get paid, but their job is to whistle when a full bus; this whistle signals the next bus to come forward.  The strange thing is that all of the buses have their doors open at all times...which means you can select the bus in the back if you want to sit near the front.  The line of buses always ends around a corner.

Another thing I noted about the buses in Costa Rica, is that if you don't see the front of the bus, and already know the color...you could end up anywhere.  For example, in order to get to the "Artist Mart" today, I have to cross the street from my hotel, wait for a red bus that has the words, "American University X San Jose ("X" is pronounced as por which means "by" in English) in essence, American University by San Jose.  As I blogged about earlier, there are no street signs in the part of San Jose where I'm staying.  It's a wonder mail is every properly delivered here.  Since I've been here, I've never seen a person who delivers mail.  I think people and businesses have to pick up their mail from the post office..as there are no real addresses, or consistent placement or order of numbers on businesses.

The first time I tried to get from point A to point B, I was totally lost.  Walk down about 4 kilometers which would take a fast walker (like me) about 30 minutes, or a slow walker about 50 minutes, pass under the bridge...run across the roundabout, go about 1 more kilometer (7 minutes for a fast walker and 13 minutes for a slow walker), and make a right at the gas station.  The person who gave me these directions gave me kilometers (vs miles) with a walking time frame.  I must be a super fast walker...because the first time I ventured out alone, I realized that it took me about 20 minutes to walk 4 kilometers...thank God for my pedometer (coupled with my basic math knowledge at thanks to my math teach at Clay Junior High).

Back to my trip to the "Artist Mart".  I was able to see the front of the first bus...but just in case, I practiced the following phrase in case I was unable to read the front of the bus.  este autobus va de 1860 Mercado?  That was my backup question...just in case I couldn't see the front of the bus. After safely boarding the first bus and paying my fare of 210 colones, pass the big church, and continue walking a few blocks until I pass the second Mercado 1860 (there are two 1860 Mercados about 4 blocks past the first one), sound confusing huh???? Just try doing it in a foreign country with a limited knowledge of the language...and no street signs -- only landmarks, while simultaneously trying not to look like a tourist (aka target).

 I board the second bus which is yellow.  I was warned to make sure that I was standing in front of the bus in order that I could read the sign.  I was warned that under no conditions was I to get on the bus that says "Carpio X Utica"...I was to board the yellow bus that says "Carpio X Pista".  This bus would take me to the museum with the large steel Christmas tree in front of the park (my landmark).  The question of the hour...how to make sure that I'm standing in front of all buses coming my way...as the writing is only on the front of the bus.  Think about this...the only way I could tell I'm on the right bus, is by putting my life in danger by standing on the street.  The only other option is to read Spanish backwards..and hope that not many people are behind me if I accidentally get on the wrong bus and have to back off.  Some readers may say, just ask the bus driver....well, I tried that, can you imagine the bus driver not understanding Spanish.....(well my Spanish that is)...hasta donde llega este autovus va?
That was my backup question...just in case I couldn't see the front of the bus. I had to make absolutely, positively sure that I got on the correct bus going back to the hotel.  
I was told that if I fell asleep on the first bus I should stay on the bus until the end.  The first thing I wondered what how could bus riders possibly fall asleep in Costa Rica?   The rides are rocky and filled with the cacophony of horns blowing, curses, quick turns and stops -- I certainly couldn't rest while aboard a bus -- or in a car here...) I should ride the bus to the end of the line and walk back to the steel Christmas tree.  When I asked why should I ride to the end instead of getting off at the next stop, I was told that the area between the Christmas tree stop and the last stop was filled with youngsters who snatch and grab the possessions of people who are getting off the bus.  For some reason, these youngsters "aka thugs"  (my name for them) don't bother people getting on the bus...only off.  Costa Rica...what a place.  I'm still trying to understand where the "Pura Vida" (pure life) comes from.

....Back from the "Artist Mart"....not a great day for bargain hunting.  Too many people to haggle effectively.  I purchased a few small handmade trinkets for some of my co-workers...but I was hesitant to buy some of the larger items...as I was concerned about getting them safely back to the hotel.

Happy to be back in the folds of the Hotel le Bergerac...Going to shower...and go down for a bowl of black bean soup with rice.

Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment