Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I've Got a New Attitude!

I had a weird dream last night.  I dreamed that I was wandering down the road near the orphanage...asking people about the term "Pura Vida" -- which means "pure life".  One of the students in my class explained, Elkin -- (my favorite student I can share this -- since it's just me and you) told me in his broken English, that everybody here is poor. We are all the same.  Since we are all the same, we are all happy.


When I awakened from my dream, I realized that the information that came to me in my dream was absolutely right....The majority of the children here seem happy.  They are helpful, eager to learn, and appreciative of the little things in life.

I went to bed wondering about Pura Vida...as I wasn't having such a "pure life" experience on this trip. My subconscious mind was the impetus for the dream...about "pura vida".  When I awakened, it seemed that my conscious mind took on more of a "tico" mentality.  I made a conscious decision to go with the flow...just like I do in L.A. instead of allowing the small things to bother me while I'm here.  Why is it so difficult for me to let things flow here?  The answer is simple. I'm out of my element.  I don't speak the language...or have anyone to communicate with that really understands me and what I'm saying.  Communication -- one of my favorite things to do is a chore here.  Perhaps one of the most difficult things that have happened since I've been here (AND YOU KNOW I'VE BEEN THROUGH A LOT), is finding out that my Mother didn't take a trip she was planning with one of her neighbors because she didn't hear from me from Wednesday - Saturday.  When I was finally able to get through to Los  Angeles, I was surprised that she was still at home. Although my Mom said that she didn't go because she changed her mind, I know the real truth is that she didn't hear from me...so she was worried. Talk about a Mother's love...never dying...my Mom is the epitome of Mother's Love.  I am truly grateful to have such a wonderful Mom and a terrific family!

Once again, I digress...back to the business of volunteering.  Local volunteers are already on site by the time we arrive.  Their job is to prepare the food.  The volunteers from Maximo Nivel arrive about 30 minutes before the children are allowed to come inside.  A couple volunteers  fill the plastic cups with the drink that will accompany the meal.   There is usually juice in the morning, and chocolate milk or strawberry milk with lunch.  The volunteers from Minnesota usually take care of wiping down the stone benches and tables with disinfectant.

Since I've been coming, my job is to make sure that the children wash their hands before getting in the food line.  While I'm working with the first shift of teaching English, other volunteers wash the dishes as the children finish eating.

Each evening before I turn in for the evening, I put together a series of English lessons based on age and knowledge of English.  I spend about 2 hours after dinner putting these lessons together and e-mailing them to Paula - pronounced pal o la  (at Maximo) in order that she can make sufficient copies for the next day.

Here is one of my lesson plans:

Today is___________________________________________________
 (hoy es)

My name is _________________________________________________
 (mi nombre es)

I am __________________________ years old.
(tengo anos)

My Birthday is _______________________________________
(mi cumpleanos es el)

I have ______________ brothers,   and ________________sisters
 (tengo ___ hermanos y ___ hermanas)

I live with my ____________________________, my _____________________________________ and __________________

(yo vivo con mi)  

My favorite color is ___________________________________________
(mi color favorito es el)

My favorite food is ___________________________________________
 (mi alimento es)


There are 7 Days in a Week  (hay 7 dais de la semana)
Monday                        ______________________________________________
Tuesday                        ______________________________________________
Wednesday                   _____________________________________________
Thursday                       ______________________________________________
Friday                          _______________________________________________
Saturday                        ______________________________________________
Sunday                        _______________________________________________

There are 12 Months in a Year (hay 12 meses in un ano)
January                        _______________________________________
February                        ______________________________________________
March                        ________________________________________________
April                                    ___________________________________________
May                                    ___________________________________________
June                                    ___________________________________________
July                                    ___________________________________________
August                        _____________________________________________
September                        ___________________________________________
October                        _____________________________________________
November                        ___________________________________________
December                        ____________________________________________

My birthday is in the month of _________________________                                   


We then practiced writing numbers from 1 to 100.


The children absolutely love writing.  They already know their numbers (in English) and can count as high as you and I.  One of their favorite things to do is to practice spelling the numbers.  Since I've been working with them...one thing I've noticed is that their handwriting is excellent and their spelling is above normal.

For example Elkin (my favorite student) colored this picture for me.  Elkin is 8 years old.  Although he can't spell my name...(they call me "China" as "Jeanna" is just too difficult), look at his handwriting.  I think it's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment