Sunday, January 8, 2012

From Miami to Costa Rica

I'm seated comfortably in a dry seat (3 F) en route to Costa Rica from Miami. Unlike my previous seat mate, this guy is not going to be much of a talker. He has a nice thick book to keep him company...Good for me. He also doesn't seem to be particularly happy to have me as a seat mate...but maybe that's just me.

5 minutes later....Well, well, well - my intuition continues to serve me well. My seat mate asked if I would switch seats with his wife who was in 5A. How could I say no. My new seat mate appears to be a man with receding salt and pepper hair (probably late 40's). It turns out he owns an engineering company and is headed to Costa Rica to celebrate one of his friends 50th birthday.

As we were awaiting take-off, my thoughts returned to "Dolphin Tale", the in-flight movie from the first leg of this journey. I slept through about 90% of that movie. Sometimes, it's better to watch a movie like I watch professional sports...viewing the highlights on the 10:00 o'clock news is sufficient for me.

Good Lord! They must have the air conditioning turned all the way to "super freeze" on this plane. We haven't even taken off yet...and everyone is reaching for blankets and taking coats from the overhead compartments. Thank God...that blast of air only last a few minutes :-()

Here's the captain....'we'll be in Costa Rica in 2 hours and 38 minutes'. Oh Joy! Once there, I'll be met by one of the team members of Maximo Nivel (the organization that found the volunteer opportunity, arranged lodging, will provide Spanish lessons, and provided lots of information about Costa Rican customs).

So much Spanish...so little understanding (on my part). Although I'm able to catch a word here and there, I wonder how I'll be able to get along with just my Spanish / English -- English / Spanish dictionary. Will I encounter much difficulty getting from point A to point B? How concerned should I be with the safety issues that I've read about. Now I hope I won't have to break out in my Tae Kwon Do moves -- especially my favorite, "chop, spin, and kick"....or better yet, what if I'm forced to let the South Central slip out. (I know it's in there somewhere)...or if not, I can channel the ghost of Tokie. He'll protect me.

For those ot in the "know"...Tokie was one of the original crips. While in prison, he wrote children's books. A few years ago, he was put to death by the State of California.

I don't believe in capital punishment...and I feel sad each time I hear that an inmate is put to death. Some may ask...how would you feel if _____(fill in the blank), killed, raped, mutilated, robbed, etc your ______(fill in the blank). My answer would be the same..."vengence is mine, saith the Lord". I know that we're all going to die...but knowing the day, time, and place of your death must be more than just a little disconcerting (for innocents and the guilty). I'd like to think that 'my house is in order'. So when my Father comes to bring me home, the first words I'll hear are, "well done, my good and faithful servant". But alas, I've always heard that God takes the best first...I'll probably get to be as old as Methusela :-)

However, I did pray for traveling grace before I left.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment