Tuesday, January 10, 2012

From Dawn to Dusk in Costa Rica

Ah...I'm awake feeling refreshed and relaxed and getting ready to enjoy my first "typical breakfast" which includes, coffee, mango juice (yuck!), fresh fruit (pineapple, watermelon, and red papaya), a toasted English muffin (with yellow jelly and red jelly and orange looking butter/margarine)... See picture on Facebook.

One thing I noticed Sunday night (remember, my on-line blogging is a couple of days behind -- because of painfully slow internet connections here) is that the olives had a taste unfamiliar to me, and the ketchup was thinner and a bit sweeter than what I'm accustomed to (PASS). Other difference, I notice while on the walking tour on Sunday was that the gas stations actually had uniformed attendants pumping the petrol (See Facebook pictures). There were also no gas prices posted. When I asked our guides what the price of gas is, because neither of them drive, they were unable to say. Another difference, is that Pizza Hut delivers on "red" motorcycles with attachments that can accommodate about 3 pizzas on the back. (See Facebook pictures).

Well....well...well...my English muffin has arrived -- as I've already finished my fruit, tasted and rejected the juice, and enjoyed 2 cups of strong black coffee. Hey....where are the nooks and crannies? Well...nobody said the muffin was Thomas'...well...here goes. Interesting - but nothing I can't live without. I tasted a bit of each of the jellies (yellow and red). I thought they were apricot and strawberry, but the taste was unfamiliar. Although the consistency was the same as jelly in the United States...but I'm not a fan at home either (PASS).

A few minutes after the bread was served, a steaming plate of scrambled eggs, fried plantains, and rice and black beans arrived. The beans and rice were perfecto! The eggs were scrambled to perfection. The plantains were cold....(PASS on the Plantains). I can't believe how much food is provided...but then the price at this place "ain't cheap."

My plan is to leave the hotel at 7:30 am for the 30 minute walk to Maximo Nivel. The directions seem relatively easy; turn right as I exit the hotel...walk until I see the big mall...make a right at the mall...then a left at the first gas station. Costa Rica doesn't have street signs....or many street lights. I was reminded to watch out for strangers and be careful of cars...as the drivers are very impatient. The staff at Maximo also reminded me not to bring my passport or any valuables with me. There suggestion was to carry about 5,000 colones ($10.00) and a copy of my passport as I was walking from place to place, unless I was going to a nice restaurant or shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment