Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Donde es...

Buenas dias!
It's a beautiful day in Costa Rica.  I got up with the sunrise -- took care of my ablutions...then headed downstairs for the traditional Costa Rican breakfast.  The fruit today was superb...the sunshine is always an added bonus.   Today, I did something a bit different than usual.  I was determined to speak only Spanish during breakfast.  What an experience.  Thank God that the servers remembered how I normally like my breakfast.  The only thing I had to say was, agua por favor...as this was the first time I didn't have bottled water with me.  I figured it's safe...as I've been drinking coffee since I got here.  Pray for me!

As I was finishing breakfast, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and ask where could I purchase a journal similar to the one I have.  This is what I said, "donde comprar a diario parcido..." then I pointed to my journal.  Well...that wasn't quite right. The server understood my request, but I was unable to understand what he said.  He suggested that I ask the front desk.  He also told me how I should say it....the donde part was right...but after that I was lost.  I'll ask my Spanish teacher when I have my lesson later today.  At this point, I wish that I'd signed up for more than 1 week of Spanish lessons....but my volunteer schedule makes it impossible to squeeze in more time.

After breakfast, I hoped on the bus.  It cost 210 colones to ride, which is about (.42).  Although I want to take pictures of the bus stops and people boarding and exiting...my guide suggested that I 'don't act too touristy...by taking pictures of normal every day activities'.  To that end, I'll have to try to find time to take pictures when the bus stops are that crowded...which is rare...as most people travel by bus or by walking. This is definitely a walking city....and I'm a walking fool!  If I didn't have to navigate the treacherous roundabout, I would definitely walk to Maximo every day.  Although I feel safe on the bus, I enjoy walking so much more.

Today, I'm going to have a new assignment...working with older children.   I'm excited about this...although working with young children for the past few days was okay...those of you who know me (personally) know that I don't have an interest in young children (unless of course it's my own little cutie pie CJ).  More about my adventures with older children later today or tomorrow.

Ah...I finally learned how to add pictures into my blog.  This way, those who are not face book friends can see them also.

A few days ago, I blogged about the fact that Pizza Hut has special delivery scooters...here's a picture.
With prices so high...I wonder how often these scooters are on the road...I doubt if I could afford to have any thing delivered here.



 Pictures in my first room which are for sale by local Costa Rican artists.
 This is the room I stayed in during my first night here.  It was the original place I was to stay at...but Maximo Nivel forgot to make my reservations.
 Each room at a specific name
 Internet service here is painfully slow...to that end, I've taken to writing in my blog and transcribing later.  By the way, every room has a key that corresponds to the room (Don Julio -- "J" key)
 This was "breakfast" which was served the first day I was there...some kind of jelly and bread cut from a loaf...you know I had to have my black coffee...or somebody would not be happy.
 More art for sale on the walls of the first place I stayed.  Most of the art (I believe) was done by children...but I could be wrong.
This is the place I opted for...it's a bit more expensive than the other 3 places the staff at Maximo showed me...but I feel much more comfortable here.   (See previous blogs)
 Don't you just love this staircase?
 Eduardo is the dinner time waiter / bartender.  He speaks a small amount of English...
 My first Costa Rican dinner (as recommended by Eduardo)....arroz con pollo with pompa frites
The traditional Costa Rican breakfast (fresh fruit, bread, juice, eggs, black beans and rice, and plantains)....much different than the continental breakfast offered at the first place.  (Read my previous blog for my thoughts on this)
 Heading to my site the first day...this picture was taken from the bus.  Unfortunately, this was a much longer bus ride than I was promised when I signed up.  To that end, I'm changing sites today (Wednesday) to a closer site working with youngsters in the age group I requested and was assured of.  (More about that on previous blogs as well)
 This is the amusement park...we passed on the way to the site.  It's like Disneyland...but much smaller.
Believe it or not...this is not a construction site.  It's the actual church (when the children from the orphanage come to learn).  It quite dangerous for these young children to run up and down the steps with no railings...yet they show no fear...and even play tag going up and down the cement steps...and sitting on the ledges...I volunteered here 2 days...but it's not for the faint of heart.
 After climbing the cement steps...you get to the church...This is where the "real work" of teaching English begins.
These are colones...it cost 210 colones to ride most of the buses...That equates to about .42 cents.
 Today's exchange rate is 512 colones to $1.00.  Yesterday, the rate was 528 colones per dollar.  I'm glad that I went to the bank yesterday.  The banks here are heavily guarded...2 guards before you get in.  Once you pass through the metal detector, you are given a number, then take a seat (similar to being at the DMV or AAA) and wait until your number is called.
 This is one of the vendors whom I purchased some hand made souvenirs from.  Before she allowed me to take her picture...she had to put on full make up.
 This is my typical lunch at the orphanage.  Although we were offered half a sandwich as a thank you for volunteering, I opted to eat the tuna that I brought.  I'm glad I brought it because for the first 36 hours in Costa Rica, I lived off my tuna kits.
 As of yesterday, this is the best meal I've had in Costa Rica, Black Bean Soup with a side order of rice.  (See my earlier blog regarding my feelings about the toast points -- in the background....YUCK)

This is one of the most interesting things about my hotel room. The door and windows open.  They have fresh plants outside...but the door and windows are only accessible from the room.  If you look up to the ceiling...you'll only see a stucco roof.  To the left of the doorway which is open in this picture is a stone wall.  To the right of the window (which is open in this picture) is another wall.

That's all I got for now...The bus should be here shortly to pick us up for the volunteer project.  Hopefully, this one meets my requests.

Pura  Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment